September 2016

Soda blasting done (good and bad)

   The soda blasters are done and now good and bad news.   I’ve always had small blisters (chicken pox) on the hull.  Well as i expected they are surface blisters.  Now that it is clean the blisters are in the polyester barrier coat that the original owner had put on the boat.  Why would you put an epoxy barrier coat on a boat that is laid up with vinyl ester?  There is no reason since the high quality vinyl ester doesn’t blister.   As a result of not wanting to peel the barrier coat off the boat, i will be fairing the blister holes with vinyl-based compound for the next few days.   In addition, a Previous owner extended the waterline and applied additional barrier coat without taking the area down to the black gel coat… so the top 4 to 6 inches of added barrier coat are peeling off and need to be scraped and ground off.  Look like I’m going to be on the hard for a week or a bit more to clean all this mess up.   
Good news, the vinyl ester-based glass hasn’t a single blister so the hull is in perfect shape.  Though i expect in 5 year or more i’ll see more of the chicken pox in the polyester that I refuse to peel off the hull.
  Smells like rain tonight. I might not get to fair the boat for a day or two.

Boat on the Hard

The soda blaster was to be here on Friday, but called Thursday afternoon, after the boat was on the hard to say his crew couldn't be here until Monday. I'm pissed.
Oh well, I'll live with it. I'll do more varnishing and repair a leaking port window etc. Got the prop greased and have to find 70mm zincs (they didn't have any at the store on Thursday) I'll check out Faucets, they should have 70mm max prop zincs.
One week until retirement!!!! :)

More varnish and other projects

Put on the 5th coat of varnish on the rail. Still have more to go, plus the eyebrow and doraide boxes. I also make the wringer platform (wringer and meat grinder) that will hook to the stern pulpit and allow me to wring out laundry or crank on the meat grinder. The screws I have are too short for the wringer to I picked up 3" bolts… they are too long, so i need to get 2.5 in bolts. The 3in bolts work, but I would rather have the right sized bolts.
Replace an old vent hose that was rusting and did another round of sanding on the bright work… It should rain tonight and on Monday, so once that blows over I'll tape up the eyebrow and put another coat of varnish on the boat. Planning to haul the boat on Thursday so I'll have to pull down the head sails and release them so that she will fit in the lift. Soda blasting is scheduled for Friday. Ordered the bottom paint it should be in this week.

LPG sensor changed out

I had one of the two LPG sensors go bad. This was making it impossible to cook on board, so I cut the wires and remove the bad sensor. Everything works okay with one sensor, but the purpose of two is to have redundancy… we don't want to blow the boat up cause of a leak in the gas lines.
There is a new sensor that is compatible with my system, so I had to install the new sensor. Not to bad, about 3 hours to get the old removed and the new put in. This included spending 20min upside down in a kitchen cabinet removing and running new cable… Ugh… but it is working now.
Also put the 3rd coat of varnish on the exterior wood.
This weekend I got an inReach by Delorme and set it up. Looks like it will be a nice addition for offshore.